“Flexible Solidarity – A comprehensive strategy for asylum and immigration in the EU”
The EU faces major challenges in asylum and migration policy: reorganize the EU asylum system, secure the external border, curb irregular immigration through cooperation with African governments, and support developing countries that host large numbers of refugees from Syria and elsewhere. These challenges are inter-connected and require a comprehensive approach with broad support by all EU member states. However, member states are affected by immigration in substantially different ways and the political preferences of policy makers and voters also vary widely–necessitating implementable proposals to overcome the EU’s asylum and immigration impasse.
In the 2018 MEDAM Assessment Report, we propose a comprehensive strategy for EU asylum and immigration policies that is both politically feasible and effective, based on the concept of flexible solidarity between EU member states.
- 2018 MEDAM Assessment Report (full report)
- Introduction and main messages
- Chapter 1: European asylum and migration policy— Toward flexible solidarity
- Chapter 2: Drivers of immigration policy: Popular attitudes and successful immigrant integration
- Chapter 3: Links between EU policies and countries of origin